7 The memory of the just is blessed: but the name of the wicked shall rot.
Proverbs 10:6-7 (NIV) 6 Blessings crown the head of the righteous,
but violence overwhelms the mouth of the wicked.
7 The name of the righteous is used in blessings,
but the name of the wicked will rot.
Proverbs 10:6-7 (NLT) 6 The godly are showered with blessings;
the words of the wicked conceal violent intentions.
7 We have happy memories of the godly,
but the name of a wicked person rots away.
The contrast is between the manifest blessedness of the righteous and the secret sinister proceedings of the evil. - Pulpit Commentary
Because the blessings are "upon the head of the just", everyone sees it. Blessings are showered openly over the heads of the righteous. It is not hidden, but seen by all who know them. Who are the "just" or "righteous"? Those who have accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior. We cannot be just and righteous on our own. It's impossible. It's why we needed a Savior. But Jesus Christ, the Son of God, came to save us and He imparts His Righteousness upon us as we accept Him as our Savior. We are blessed with salvation and eternal security in Heaven with our God! We are blessed with the Word of God in the Bible. We are blessed to have the Holy Spirit living within us. We are blessed in so many ways in body, mind and spirit when we walk with God. Glory and honor and blessing be to His Name!
There Shall Be Showers Of Blessings
by Daniel Webster Whittle (1840-1901)
There shall be showers of blessing:
This is the promise of love;
There shall be seasons refreshing,
Sent from the Savior above.
Showers of blessing,
Showers of blessing we need;
Mercy-drops round us are falling,
But for the showers we plead.
There shall be showers of blessing—
Precious reviving again;
Over the hills and the valleys,
Sound of abundance of rain.
There shall be showers of blessing;
Send them upon us, O Lord!
Grant to us now a refreshing;
Come, and now honor Thy Word.
There shall be showers of blessing;
O that today they might fall,
Now as to God we’re confessing,
Now as to Jesus we call.
There shall be showers of blessing,
If we but trust and obey;
There shall be seasons refreshing,
If we let God have His way.
The good man's mouth is always open to teach, comfort, and correct others. His words direct others to Jesus. His words are of good advice, love and encouragement but the words of the wicked are different altogether.
The next part of the proverb is a little vague. There are different ways to take it: "the words of the wicked conceal violent intentions", "violence covereth the mouth of the wicked", or "violence overwhelms the mouth of the wicked". It could mean:
- Being conscious that his words would get him into trouble, he holds his tongue and hides his wicked plans and violent intentions. He conceals his violent intentions with silence.
- Curses, filthy language and wicked plans pour out of the mouth of a wicked person, but God frustrates them and makes their words void, in essence, stopping it.
- Becoming conscious that his mouth spews what is in his heart: hate, violence, wickedness and evil; he is shamed into silence in the presence of a righteous person.
There are those who are thinking evil, violent plans all the time. They are always hunting for the next victim to rob, rape, kidnap, torture and murder. They are secretive. They pretend to be someone else in public. They hold their hands over their mouths to keep from spilling the filth in their hearts. They don't want to go to jail. But God knows what is really in their heart. They can't hide from His searching gaze.
Maybe you know someone who talks evil all the time. They can't seem to say a single sentence without a curse word in it. They can't talk about anything but evil - violence, plans of theft, hate, illicit sex, drugs, alcohol, evil bragging. Some people can go through their whole day without a single wholesome word coming out of their mouth. In our culture today, they aren't even ashamed of the filth spewing out of their mouths any more. The worse their mouth is the prouder they are. No longer do people have the good manners to tone down their cursing in public.
And there are people who recognize their hearts are full of violence, wickedness and evil and it will come spilling out of their mouths. They are ashamed of themselves and don't want people to know the true state of their heart. They cover their mouths in shame.
"We have happy memories of the godly". Do you know of someone who is gone now but not forgotten? You have good memories of them? You speak highly of them? My parents were like that. I couldn't have asked for better parents and they were godly, loving parents too. Everyone who knew them would tell you there were good people. They will be remembered with love and fondness by their daughters, grandchildren and great grandchildren. I pray their story would also be passed down in following generations by those of us who knew and loved with them. When their name is mentioned, good memories are associated with them and people are happy to claim them as their ancestor.
Do you know of someone who is better off forgotten? They were so evil, mean, spiteful, criminal that no one has a good word to say about them? They may pay someone to say nice things about them at the funeral but everyone knows the real story. Their death means one less evil person in the world. If their name is brought up, it's with distaste in the mouth, like eating something rotten. Bad memories are associated with their name.
Today, obituaries are usually just a list of names, dates, associations. Sometimes family will pay to put words of love in them. But obituaries are so expensive in the newspapers now. What was once a ministry to the community, is now the way they make money. We were told that a simple obituary for my parents to be put in the newspapers would be $700. And our obituaries weren't that extensive. I wanted my Mom's in Spartanburg and Greenville papers. I wanted my Dad's in Spartanburg and Albemarle papers for future genealogy purposes. But that was entirely too much money so we opted to just put their obituaries on the funeral home website and FindAGrave.com. What the newspapers did was very hurtful to my heart. But they aren't in it for the community any more. It's big business and they are losing the fight. I anticipate the local newspapers won't be around much longer.
Here is an obituary of one of my direct ancestors:
French Broad Baptist Association Minutes 1887
Elder William Reese was one of the ablest men in the Scriptures that the writer ever knew. Modest to a fault, he was strong only in his unblemished life and when in the pulpit. His sermons were made up of Bible quotations; these he piled one upon another till it seemed strange one had not seen it before. He passed to his rest mourned by all who knew him. He had lived poor, and dying, left only his spotless life and example of self-sacrifice as a legacy to his children.
What a lasting word about someone's life!
No more words could be sweeter said about someone's life!
- Look back at Proverbs 10:6a. Read the 3 different translations and write down the 3 different ways the blessed people are described:___________________________.
- Now write down the 3 ways these blessed people receive their blessings:______________________.
- Can you think of examples of people who fulfill the 3 ways Proverbs 10:6b describe? Do you know of people like these? List them and journal why they match one of the 3 ways the wicked have their mouths closed.
- Can you think of an example of someone who brings "happy memories" to mind because they were godly people? How would you write their obituary? If you could put anything on their tombstone, what would it be?
- Can you think of an example of someone whose name rots? Why? Why are they better off forgotten? Why does their memory bring a bad taste to your mouth?
- Now, it's time to turn the searchlight to your own life. Would you be a happy memory to your loved ones? Would you leave a godly legacy? Would people remember you with love? Do you leave a godly inheritance to your descendants? How would they write your obituary? What would they put on your gravestone? If it's not godly and not good things, you can change that by turning your life over to Jesus Christ right now. You can change your legacy by giving your heart to Jesus.
For all my studies on Proverbs click HERE.