..........Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.........

Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com

Thursday, January 17, 2019

My Father Passed Away

My Mother passed away last Fall on September 19, 2018. They had been married over 61 yrs. She had dementia so it was long and slow. My Dad took care of her like an angel. He turned 82 yrs old on 12/16/2018. He was grieving the loss of his wife and soulmate but he was beginning to look forward to a new year. He had ordered seed catalogs, bought a newer small tractor and a log splitter. He, Mike and Luke had just got enough wood for him to heat with for probably 2 years. We had our first Christmas without Mom.

He started having some chest pains reminiscent of a blood clot on his lungs back 8 years ago. They were able to dissolve it then and he's been fine ever since. He was always very healthy. Anyway, he and his son-in-law, Mike, went to do some grocery shopping on Tuesday and he told Melinda Tuesday night he was having chest pains. Around last Thanksgiving, the doctors did a stress test on him and said his heart was great shape. So we didn't think it was his heart but maybe another blood clot. Yesterday morning he called her early and said it had been getting worse and he thought he needed to go on into the ER. So she took him. I met them up there. I kissed him and told him I loved him. I held his hand. I showed him some family stuff on Facebook and some cute things to make him laugh. He was in good spirits and seemed fine. Melinda got to talk to him, tell him she loved him, held his hand, asked if he was scared and was he ready in case of dying. He assured us he was. He knew the Lord Jesus Christ.

They did the CAT scan and did find a huge pulmonary embolism (blood clot on the lung) so they started him on Heperin. We thought it would be like last time and it would dissolve and he would come home in a few days. About 15 mins into the Heperin, he started feeling funny and his blood pressure crashed. I had left to go get us some lunch since he seemed fine. But Melinda called me back and said he had crashed and he was dying. I raced back and Stan got there at the same time. They were able to revive him that time. This time they gave him TPA (blood clot buster) on top of the Heperin. They really had no choice in treatment. He regained consciousness and knew us. But they couldn't stabilize his blood pressure. It kept going down, his heart almost stopped again, it went up a little. His grandson, Luke, came in and he knew Luke, shook his hand and they told each other they loved each other. Just minutes later, he crashed a second time. This time they were unable to revive him. His heart just stopped. After 15 mins of CPR and other resuscitative measures we had to tell them to stop trying, he was gone. He lived 4 months and 3 days after my Mom's death. His father died in his sleep of a pulmonary embolism just like Dad.

I missed doing a DNA test on my Mother. I thought it was too expensive. I waited too late and have kicked myself ever since. So at Christmas I ordered DNA kits for Stan and I, my Dad and Stan's mother. Stan and I did ours right away but I hadn't gotten around to getting them to spit in the test tube. As I was about to rush out to the hospital, I grabbed one of the kits. As soon as I came into the ER room and saw him looking fine, I opened that test tube and said, "Spit in it! I'm not running the chance of not getting yours!" Melinda laughed at me and said, "Now is not the time" but I made him do it anyway. When I left to get lunch, I dropped his test tube in the mail, then got the call to come back because he was dying. Don't wait.
I have no regrets. I loved both my parents and we spent so much time together and have so many memories. They were there for me and I was there for them. I was there to tell him one last time I loved him and he knew me. I also know that my parents knew Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. So I know they are in Heaven and I will see them again. What a comfort! They were national treasures in my book and I can't say enough good about them. They passed down a wonderful heritage. They didn't have much money-wise and were certainly not household names or rock stars. They didn't leave us a huge inheritance. But they invested everything they had in us and their grandchildren and great grandchildren. Their love, their prayers, their concern, their experiences and most of all, their faith in God. There was nothing that they didn't do for me as I was their child. They felt the same way with Elaine and Melinda and then on to our husbands, the grandchildren and their husbands and the great grandchildren. They were love in action. They were Christians in action. They knew how to forgive even when they'd been done wrong. God is good and now I have to put my faith in God to get us through the Valley of the Shadow of Death.

No comments:

My Most Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Contact Me

To contact me, email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com