..........Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.........

Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com

Monday, October 24, 2011

Talladega Race

My husband won a trip for two to the Talladega SuperSpeedway. We got a free hotel room at the Atlanta Airport Hilton. We left Saturday and got back today, Monday. I didn't really care about the race but I enjoyed spending the weekend with Stan. When we got there, Stan took me to Lenox Square to shop but that was a mistake! I used to go shopping there when I was a teenager but it's still built only for the Teens to Twenty Somethings! There is not a single shop that caters to the monied baby boomers like us. Where these young people get that kind of money is a wonder? It was very crowded and the shops are all upscale. You could hardly walk for the young people so we basically walked straight through and back out again.

We ate dinner at Turner's Montana Grill and we had bison steaks. Very good.

We decided not to take the free tour bus provided down to Talladega. They left at 6:30pm and didn't get back until 8:00pm. The race didn't start until 2:00pm (Alabama time which is 3:00pm our time) so there was no way we wanted to sit there for hours before the race. And we were afraid the bus would just be full of drunk strangers. Besides, Stan was worried that I would get too tired or start having too much pain and would need to leave. So we packed a picnic and headed out about 10:00am. We got there about lunchtime and got parked. I've never seen so many people. I've been to races before but never seen this many people. It was so crowded.

We ate our picnic lunch and I took a nap while Stan talked to some men that parked beside us. Then we walked a gazillion miles and climbed a lot of stairs to find our seats. These were $120@ tickets but the seating was awful! It was so cramped. They make no allowances for people who have legs. There is only 6" of "leg room". You can't cross your legs, stretch them, wiggle... it's an awful deal just to make your way out to go to the restroom or get something to eat or drink. People literally have to stand on their seats to let you by. With my size, I couldn't even stand up. So once I was in the seat, I couldn't move until we left. So I will never do it again. It's simply not worth it! And I was glad I hadn't paid $240 to be miserable!

But the weather was nice, I enjoyed being with Stan and he didn't make me stay too long. We left after the 100th lap because I was in pain and he wanted to avoid the traffic. I couldn't imagine trying to get out of there in all that traffic and mass of humanity.

So we got out while the gettin' was good. We got to Oxford, GA and stopped to let me shop through some antique malls while Stan listened to the end of the race. Then we ate at the Mellow Mushroom and had the best pizza!

This morning I went to the hotel pool and whirlpool. I worked out for 30 mins and enjoyed the whirlpool. Then we got ready and left for home. We stopped at Cafe Aroma for a delicious cup of coffee and a bagel. We got home at lunchtime.

How did we ever live before GPS!

We had such a nice time together!

No comments:

My Most Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Contact Me

To contact me, email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com