..........Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.........

Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Back To School Lunch Ideas

It's that time again! Kids headed back to school this week. If you make your children's lunch to take to school then you might want some new ideas. When I was in school, a peanut butter jelly sandwich and milk money were about the extent of our bagged lunches. Today, there is much more to choose from, and more creativity. I did a Google search and found some wonderful ideas. Now I fully realize that some parents are too busy to do cookie cutter bread and kitty cat faces on fruit. But take the ideas that you can use. The main thing is to make sure you kids are getting nutritional lunches and lunches that can make it to school safely. I can't tell you how many times my pbj sandwich got smushed or a banana got mashed. So all these little containers and lunchbox ideas are pretty cool. On the other hand, I've also seen kids who leave Mom's expensive Tupperware containers in their locker forever and Mom never sees them again.

You know your kids. If you know they are responsible enough to bring expensive lunch box containers back home, DON'T use them. Recycle plastic butter or yogurt containers, recycled jars, prepackaged items, aluminum foil, ziploc bags and brown bags. That way, it can be tossed in the trash can and you haven't lost your expensive food storage containers.

You also know what your children will eat. Some children are very picky and won't touch things not on their list of eatables. I have a nephew that wouldn't eat anything green. He's over 30 yrs old and still won't eat anything green. My husband wouldn't touch cauliflower, broccoli, eggplant, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, squash, etc. until after we got married. We've been married 39 yrs and he just now found out he liked fruit cobbler! I think parents should work on getting their children to try things and not cater to some of the silliness that kids get away with in the food department. But there are also times to choose your battles carefully. It's all in the balance. Kids have to eat, especially in the middle of a busy school day. So make lunches they will eat but that are well rounded and nutritional.

All meals should have enough protein to keep their minds working and their sugar levels stable and to keep from getting hungry again too soon. They also need fruit, vegetable, dairy. And it's nice to include something sweet but not too much sugar that will get small children on a sugar high.

These pictures are not mine and I appreciate all those who share their ideas on back to school lunches. Heck, I would love to have some of these for my own lunch! Use these ideas as a springboard for your own children's lunches. You might want to make a menu on Friday, do your grocery shopping on Saturday and pack a week's worth of lunches on Sunday afternoon. And, as they're are able, get them to help you. Kids don't need everything done for them, they need to learn how to do for themselves. One day they will be making their kid's lunches and they will be glad you taught them.


















































No comments:

My Most Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Contact Me

To contact me, email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com