..........Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.........

Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com

Monday, June 27, 2016

"I Am A Worm"

Psalm 22 is also known as The Psalm of the Cross or The Crucifixion Psalm. It is prophetic of the death of our Savior. Let's look at it in detail. First let's see how the prophesies of these verses were fulfilled.

Psalm 22:1-31 (Modern King James Version - MKJV) To the Chief Musician, on the deer of the dawn. A Psalm of David.
My God, my God, why have You forsaken me, and are far from my deliverance, and from the words of my groaning? (2) O my God, I cry in the daytime, but You do not answer; and in the night, and am not silent. (3) But You are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel. (4) Our fathers trusted in You; they trusted, and You delivered them. (5) They cried to You, and were delivered; they trusted in You, and were not ashamed. (6) But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised by the people. (7) All who see Me mock me; they shoot out the lip; they shake the head, saying, (8) He trusted on Jehovah; let Him deliver Him; let Him rescue Him, since He delights in Him! (9) For You are He who took Me out of the womb, causing Me to trust while on My mother's breasts. (10) I was cast on You from the womb; You are My God from My mother's belly. (11) Be not far from Me; for trouble is near, for there is none to help. (12) Many bulls have circled around Me; strong bulls Of Bashan have surrounded Me. (13) They opened wide their mouths on Me, like a ripping and a roaring lion. (14) I am poured out like water, and all My bones are spread apart; My heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of My bowels. (15) My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and My tongue clings to My jaws; (16) and You have brought Me into the dust of death. For dogs have circled around Me; the band of spoilers have hemmed Me in, piercers of My hands and My feet. (17) I can count all My bones; they look and stare at Me. (18) They divide My garments among them and cast lots for My clothing. (19) But You, O Jehovah, be not far from Me; O My strength, hurry to help Me! (20) Deliver My soul from the sword, My only one from the dog's hand. (21) Save Me from the lion's mouth; from the wild oxen's horns. You have answered Me. (22) I will declare Your name to My brothers; in the midst of the congregation I will praise You. (23) You who fear Jehovah, praise Him; all of you, the seed of Jacob, glorify Him; and fear Him all the seed of Israel. (24) For He has not despised nor hated the affliction of the afflicted; and He has not hidden His face from him, but when he cried to Him, He heard. (25) My praise shall be of You in the great congregation; I will pay My vows before the ones who fear Him. (26) The meek shall eat and be satisfied; those who seek Jehovah shall praise Him; your heart shall live forever. (27) All the ends of the world shall remember and turn to Jehovah; and all the families of the nations shall worship before You. (28) For the kingdom is Jehovah's; and He is the ruler among the nations. (29) All the fat ones on the earth shall eat and worship; all those who go down to the dust shall bow before Him; and none can keep alive his own soul. (30) A seed shall serve Him; it shall be spoken of Jehovah to the coming generation. (31) They shall come, and shall declare His righteousness to a people that shall yet be born, that He has done this.


Psalm 22: 1 My God, my God, why have You forsaken me, and are far from my deliverance, and from the words of my groaning?
Fulfillment:
Matthew 27:46 (MKJV) And about the ninth hour, Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? That is, My God, My God, why have You forsaken me?
________________________________________

Psalm 22: 2 (MKJV) O my God, I cry in the daytime, but You do not answer; and in the night, and am not silent.
Fulfillment:
Luke 22:41-46 (MKJV) And He was withdrawn from them about a stone's throw. And He kneeled down and prayed, (42) saying, Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me. Yet not My will, but Yours be done. (43) And an angel appeared to Him from Heaven, strengthening Him. (44) And being in an agony He prayed more earnestly. And His sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground. (45)And when He rose up from prayer and had come to His disciples, He found them sleeping because of sorrow. (46) And He said to them, Why do you sleep? Rise and pray lest you enter into temptation.

Hebrews 5:7-8 (Contemporary English Version - CEV) God had the power to save Jesus from death. And while Jesus was on earth, he begged God with loud crying and tears to save him. He truly worshiped God, and God listened to his prayers. (8) Jesus is God's own Son, but still he had to suffer before he could learn what it really means to obey God.
________________________________________

Psalm 22: 3-5 (American Standard Version - ASV) But You are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel. (4) Our fathers trusted in You; they trusted, and You delivered them. (5) They cried to You, and were delivered; they trusted in You, and were not ashamed.
Fulfillment:
Matthew 20:28 (ASV) even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

Isaiah 53:10-11 (ASV) Yet it pleased Jehovah to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of Jehovah shall prosper in his hand. (11) He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by the knowledge of himself shall my righteous servant justify many; and he shall bear their iniquities.

Romans 8:32 (ASV) He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not also with him freely give us all things?
________________________________________

Psalm 22: 6 (MKJV) But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised by the people.
Fulfillment:
Matthew 27:20-26 (CEV) But the chief priests and the leaders convinced the crowds to ask for Barabbas to be set free and for Jesus to be killed. (21) Pilate asked the crowd again, "Which of these two men do you want me to set free?" "Barabbas!" they replied. (22) Pilate asked them, "What am I to do with Jesus, who is called the Messiah?" They all yelled, "Nail him to a cross!" (23) Pilate answered, "But what crime has he done?" "Nail him to a cross!" they yelled even louder. (24) Pilate saw that there was nothing he could do and that the people were starting to riot. So he took some water and washed his hands in front of them and said, "I won't have anything to do with killing this man. You are the ones doing it!" (25) Everyone answered, "We and our own families will take the blame for his death!" (26) Pilate set Barabbas free. Then he ordered his soldiers to beat Jesus with a whip and nail him to a cross.
________________________________________

Psalm 22: 7-8 (MKJV) All who see Me mock me; they shoot out the lip; they shake the head, saying, (8) He trusted on Jehovah; let Him deliver Him; let Him rescue Him, since He delights in Him!
Fulfillment:
Matthew 26:67 (CEV) Then they spit in his face and hit him with their fists. Others slapped him

Luke 23:10-11 (CEV) Then the chief priests and the teachers of the Law of Moses stood up and accused him of all kinds of bad things. (11) Herod and his soldiers made fun of Jesus and insulted him. They put a fine robe on him and sent him back to Pilate.

Matthew 27:39-44 (CEV) People who passed by said terrible things about Jesus. They shook their heads and (40) shouted, "So you're the one who claimed you could tear down the temple and build it again in three days! If you are God's Son, save yourself and come down from the cross!" (41) The chief priests, the leaders, and the teachers of the Law of Moses also made fun of Jesus. They said, (42) "He saved others, but he can't save himself. If he is the king of Israel, he should come down from the cross! Then we will believe him. (43) He trusted God, so let God save him, if he wants to. He even said he was God's Son." (44) The two criminals also said cruel things to Jesus.

Isaiah 53:3-5 (Easy To Read Version - ERV) People made fun of him, and even his friends left him. He was a man who suffered a lot of pain and sickness. We treated him like someone of no importance, like someone people will not even look at but turn away from in disgust. (4) The fact is, it was our suffering he took on himself; he bore our pain. But we thought that God was punishing him, that God was beating him for something he did. (5) But he was being punished for what we did. He was crushed because of our guilt. He took the punishment we deserved, and this brought us peace. We were healed because of his pain.
________________________________________

Psalm 22:9-11 (MKJV) For You are He who took Me out of the womb, causing Me to trust while on My mother's breasts. (10) I was cast on You from the womb; You are My God from My mother's belly. (11) Be not far from Me; for trouble is near, for there is none to help.
Fulfillment (how God took care of the baby Jesus and His Mother after He was born):
Mattew 1:18-25 (CEV) This is how Jesus Christ was born. A young woman named Mary was engaged to Joseph from King David's family. But before they were married, she learned that she was going to have a baby by God's Holy Spirit. (19) Joseph was a good man and did not want to embarrass Mary in front of everyone. So he decided to quietly call off the wedding. (20) While Joseph was thinking about this, an angel from the Lord came to him in a dream. The angel said, "Joseph, the baby that Mary will have is from the Holy Spirit. Go ahead and marry her. (21) Then after her baby is born, name him Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins." (22) So the Lord's promise came true, just as the prophet had said, (23) "A virgin will have a baby boy, and he will be called Immanuel," which means "God is with us." (24) After Joseph woke up, he and Mary were soon married, just as the Lord's angel had told him to do. (25) But they did not sleep together before her baby was born. Then Joseph named him Jesus.
Matthew 2:1-23 (CEV) When Jesus was born in the village of Bethlehem in Judea, Herod was king. During this time some wise men from the east came to Jerusalem (2) and said, "Where is the child born to be king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him." (3) When King Herod heard about this, he was worried, and so was everyone else in Jerusalem. (4) Herod brought together the chief priests and the teachers of the Law of Moses and asked them, "Where will the Messiah be born?" (5) They told him, "He will be born in Bethlehem, just as the prophet wrote, (6) 'Bethlehem in the land of Judea, you are very important among the towns of Judea. From your town will come a leader, who will be like a shepherd for my people Israel.' " (7) Herod secretly called in the wise men and asked them when they had first seen the star. (8) He told them, "Go to Bethlehem and search carefully for the child. As soon as you find him, let me know. I want to go and worship him too." (9) The wise men listened to what the king said and then left. And the star they had seen in the east went on ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. (10) They were thrilled and excited to see the star. (11) When the men went into the house and saw the child with Mary, his mother, they knelt down and worshiped him. They took out their gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh and gave them to him. (12) Later they were warned in a dream not to return to Herod, and they went back home by another road. (13) After the wise men had gone, an angel from the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, "Get up! Hurry and take the child and his mother to Egypt! Stay there until I tell you to return, because Herod is looking for the child and wants to kill him." (14) That night, Joseph got up and took his wife and the child to Egypt, (15) where they stayed until Herod died. So the Lord's promise came true, just as the prophet had said, "I called my son out of Egypt." (16) When Herod found out that the wise men from the east had tricked him, he was very angry. He gave orders for his men to kill all the boys who lived in or near Bethlehem and were two years old and younger. This was based on what he had learned from the wise men. (17) So the Lord's promise came true, just as the prophet Jeremiah had said, (18) "In Ramah a voice was heard crying and weeping loudly. Rachel was mourning for her children, and she refused to be comforted, because they were dead." (19) After King Herod died, an angel from the Lord appeared in a dream to Joseph while he was still in Egypt. (20) The angel said, "Get up and take the child and his mother back to Israel. The people who wanted to kill him are now dead." (21) Joseph got up and left with them for Israel. (22) But when he heard that Herod's son Archelaus was now ruler of Judea, he was afraid to go there. Then in a dream he was told to go to Galilee, (23) and they went to live there in the town of Nazareth. So the Lord's promise came true, just as the prophet had said, "He will be called a Nazarene."
________________________________________

Psalm 22: 12-16(MKJV) Many bulls have circled around Me; strong bulls Of Bashan have surrounded Me. (13) They opened wide their mouths on Me, like a ripping and a roaring lion. (14) I am poured out like water, and all My bones are spread apart; My heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of My bowels. (15) My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and My tongue clings to My jaws;
Fulfillment:
Mark 14:32-35(CEV) Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he told them, "Sit here while I pray." (33) Jesus took along Peter, James, and John. He was sad and troubled and (34) told them, "I am so sad that I feel as if I am dying. Stay here and keep awake with me." (35) Jesus walked on a little way. Then he knelt down on the ground and prayed, "Father, if it is possible, don't let this happen to me! Father, you can do anything. Don't make me suffer by having me drink from this cup. But do what you want, and not what I want."

Matthew 27:1-2 (CEV) Early the next morning all the chief priests and the nation's leaders met and decided that Jesus should be put to death. (2) They tied him up and led him away to Pilate the governor.
________________________________________

Psalm 22: 16-17 (MKJV) and You have brought Me into the dust of death. For dogs have circled around Me; the band of spoilers have hemmed Me in, piercers of My hands and My feet. (17) I can count all My bones; they look and stare at Me.
Fulfillment:
Luke 23:33 *CEV) When the soldiers came to the place called "The Skull," they nailed Jesus to a cross. They also nailed the two criminals to crosses, one on each side of Jesus.
________________________________________

Psalm 22: 17-18 (MKJV) I can count all My bones; they look and stare at Me. (18) They divide My garments among them and cast lots for My clothing.
Fulfillment:
Mark 15:24 (CEV) They nailed Jesus to a cross and gambled to see who would get his clothes.
________________________________________

Psalm 22: 22 (MKJV) I will declare Your name to My brothers; in the midst of the congregation I will praise You.
Fulfillment:
John 17:6-8 (International Standard Version - ISV) I have made your name known to these men whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. (7) Now they realize that everything you gave me comes from you, (8) because the words that you gave me I passed on to them. They have received them and know for sure that I came from you. They have believed that you sent me.
________________________________________

Psalm 22: 24-31 (MKJV) You who fear Jehovah, praise Him; all of you, the seed of Jacob, glorify Him; and fear Him all the seed of Israel. (24) For He has not despised nor hated the affliction of the afflicted; and He has not hidden His face from him, but when he cried to Him, He heard. (25) My praise shall be of You in the great congregation; I will pay My vows before the ones who fear Him. (26) The meek shall eat and be satisfied; those who seek Jehovah shall praise Him; your heart shall live forever. (27) All the ends of the world shall remember and turn to Jehovah; and all the families of the nations shall worship before You. (28) For the kingdom is Jehovah's; and He is the ruler among the nations. (29) All the fat ones on the earth shall eat and worship; all those who go down to the dust shall bow before Him; and none can keep alive his own soul. (30) A seed shall serve Him; it shall be spoken of Jehovah to the coming generation. (31) They shall come, and shall declare His righteousness to a people that shall yet be born, that He has done this.
Fulfillment:
In the future
Philippians 2:9-11 (MKJV) Therefore God has highly exalted Him, and has given Him a name which is above every name, (10) that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of heavenly ones, and of earthly ones, and of ones under the earth; (11) and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.


Now that we've set up the background, let's look at one verse in particular.

Psalm 22: 6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised by the people.

Thanks to Dr. Craig Edwards and his sermon at our church on 3/28/2016, I learned the depth of this simple verse.

Why would Jesus call Himself a "worm"? If we check Strong's Exhaustive Concordance we learn that the word for "worm" is Tola. Tola (8438) is Hebrew and means a maggot; specifically the crimson grub (aka Scarlet Worm). So what is the Crimson Grub/Scarlet Worm [coccus ilicis]?

It is a grub and the female attaches itself to a tree in preparation to having babies. She only has babies once in her lifetime. Once attached to the wood, her outer body forms a scarlet hard shell. She cannot be removed without it killing her. She lays her eggs under the protective shell. Once they hatch, the larvae remain under the shell and feed upon the living body of their mother. After a few days, the larvae have grown enough to take care of themselves and the mother dies. As she dies, she oozes a crimson or scarlet red dye which not only stains the wood she is attached to, but also her young children. They are colored scarlet red for the rest of their lives. After three days, the dead mother’s body loses its crimson color and turns into a white wax which falls to the ground like snow. It soon disappears. Scarlet dye is made from the dried bodies of the females. The Israelites would use the dye to color fabric.

What does the Tola worm have to do with Jesus? Jesus was crucified on the wood from a tree. He voluntarily gave Himself in order to save us. Even though it was Roman soldiers who hammered the nails, Jesus could have stopped it at any time by calling the angels from Heaven to His aid.

Matthew 26:51-54 (CEV) One of Jesus' followers pulled out a sword. He struck the servant of the high priest and cut off his ear. (52) But Jesus told him, "Put your sword away. Anyone who lives by fighting will die by fighting. (53) Don't you know that I could ask my Father, and right away he would send me more than twelve armies of angels? (54) But then, how could the words of the Scriptures come true, which say that this must happen?"

Why did Jesus have to be sacrificed on a tree? Because Adam and Eve sinned by eating from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

Genesis 2:16-17 (MKJV) And Jehovah God commanded the man, saying, You may freely eat of every tree in the garden, (17) but you shall not eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. For in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.

They disobeyed God and ate from this tree bringing sin into the world. Adam and Eve were perfect humans when they sinned. It would take the blood of a perfect human to pay the price and there was no perfect human! We are born in sin and we sin continuously. We could not save ourselves. So God provided the way. He sent His Son, Jesus. Through His mother, Mary, Jesus was fully human. Through His Father, Jehovah God, Jesus was fully divine. This God man was born sinless and remained sinless and so was able to pay the price.

So Jesus gave His life for us. He naturally was hesitant to undergo the tortures that were coming along with His death and separation from His Father. But He was willing because it was the only way to save us.

Deuteronomy 21:22-23 (ERV) "A man might be guilty of a sin that must be punished by death. People might kill him and hang his body on a tree. (23) You must not let that body stay on the tree overnight. You must be sure to bury this man on the same day, because the one who hangs on a tree is cursed by God, and you must not let the land that the LORD your God is giving you become unclean.

Galatians 3:13-14 (ERV) The law says we are under a curse for not always obeying it. But Christ took away that curse. He changed places with us and put himself under that curse. The Scriptures say, "Anyone who is hung on a tree is under a curse." (14) Because of what Jesus Christ did, the blessing God promised to Abraham was given to all people. Christ died so that by believing in him we could have the Spirit that God promised.

By His sacrifice, we could be saved and all those who accept Jesus as their Savior are born again as children of God. In essence, He was crucified to give birth to those who would become Christians, children of God. Just as the Scarlet Worm attached itself to a tree in order to give birth and multiply. The scarlet shell protected the newborn larvae in it's infancy and the newborn feed off the mother. As newborn babes in Christ, He protects us and fills us with the Holy Spirit to empower, train and mature us.

Once the mother dies, the scarlet shell turns white and falls off the tree and disappears. Just as Jesus has taken on our sin, those sins are permanently removed from us. They are gone forever.

Isaiah 1:18 (MKJV) Come now, and let us reason together, says Jehovah; though your sins are as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall be like wool.

As He sends us into the world to be His witnesses, we are stained with the red blood of Jesus. This permanently marks us as being saved, being a child of God. He gave His very blood for us. We are saved and cleansed by His blood. We are now white as snow! Our sins forever gone!

We learned that the Israelites used the Crimson Worm to make red dye. God instructed the Israelites to use scarlet dye in making the Tabernacle and the High Priest's garments.

Exodus 25:3-7 (MKJV) And this is the offering which you shall take of them: gold, and silver, and brass, (4) and blue, and purple, and scarlet, and bleached linen, and goats' hair, (5) and rams' skins dyed red, and dugong skins, and acacia-wood, (6) oil for the light, spices for anointing oil and for sweet incense, (7) onyx stones, and stones to be set in the ephod and in the breast-pocket.

Exodus 26:1 (MKJV) And you shall make the tabernacle with ten curtains of fine twined bleached linen, and blue, and purple, and scarlet. You shall make them with cherubs, of the work of a cunning workman.

Exodus 28:5-6 (MKJV) And they shall take gold, and blue, and purple, and scarlet, and bleached linen. (6) And they shall make the ephod of gold, blue, and purple, scarlet, and fine twined bleached linen, skilled work.

The Tabernacle represented God's dwelling place on earth. We are now God's dwelling place on earth. And the only way we could be His dwelling place, where His Holy Spirit dwells, is through the cleansing blood of Jesus. The red in the linen curtains and veil of the Tabernacle represents the cleansing blood of Jesus who provided the way to reconciliation with the Father.

The High Priest was the one selected by God to come into His Presence to represent the people. God left explicit instructions on the garments of the High Priest and his duties. Jesus is our High Priest and He presents us to the Father.

Hebrews 2:16-17 (CEV) Jesus clearly did not come to help angels, but he did come to help Abraham's descendants. (17) He had to be one of us, so that he could serve God as our merciful and faithful high priest and sacrifice himself for the forgiveness of our sins.



No comments:

My Most Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Contact Me

To contact me, email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com