..........Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.........

Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday - Lexington, KY Cemetery

Tombstone Tuesday is a daily blogging prompt on Geneabloggers.com. Create a post which includes an image of a gravestone.


On a trip to visit our niece and her family, we went through Lexington, KY. We found a wonderful cemetery just outside of downtown Lexington called the Lexington Cemetery. I love cemeteries. There is something so mysterious and romantic about an old cemetery. I'm an amateur taphophile so I collect photos of cemeteries and beautiful headstones. Cemetery art is very symbolic and this fascinates me. A rosebud on a gravestone indicates a child under 12; a partial blooming rose indicates a teenager; a rose in full bloom indicates a person in early/mid 20's. A rose also means love, beauty, hope, unfailing love, associated with the Virgin Mary, the "rose without thorns." A weeping willow on a tombstone represents deep grief and mourning. Many grave markers will have organizational symbols such as Freemasons, Shriners, Woodmen of the World, etc. As a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), I can have their symbol on my gravestone. Then there are sayings, quotes or details of their life and relationships such as "Jane Doe, daughter of Clem and Mary Doe, Born July 4, 1786, Died January 1, 1800, She brightened our life". I have seen modern tombstones that have etchings or carvings of things that were of interest in the deceased's life such as a horse, big rig, baseball paraphernalia, etc. And some have an oval portrait of the person. It's sort of a ceramic disk with the photo baked on it. I hope you enjoy the photos I took my day in the Lexington Cemetery.











































































No comments:

My Most Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Contact Me

To contact me, email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com