..........Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.........

Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com

Sunday, February 19, 2012

How Do You Get To Know God?

Colossians 1:9-12 For this cause we also, since the day we heard, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that you might be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding, (10) that you might walk worthy of the Lord to all pleasing, being fruitful in every work and increasing in the knowledge of God, (11) being empowered with all power, according to the might of His glory, to all patience and long-suffering with joyfulness, (12) giving thanks to the Father, who has made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light. (Modern King James Version)

Colossians 1:9-12 We have not stopped praying for you since the first day we heard about you. In fact, we always pray that God will show you everything he wants you to do and that you may have all the wisdom and understanding that his Spirit gives. (10) Then you will live a life that honors the Lord, and you will always please him by doing good deeds. You will come to know God even better. (11) His glorious power will make you patient and strong enough to endure anything, and you will be truly happy. (12) I pray that you will be grateful to God for letting you have part in what he has promised his people in the kingdom of light. (Contemporary English Version)


Colossians 1: 9-12
9 For this reason we also, from the day we heard of it, have not ceased to pray and make [special] request for you, [asking] that you may be filled with the full (deep and clear) knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom [in comprehensive insight into the ways and purposes of God] and in understanding and discernment of spiritual things--

10 That you may walk (live and conduct yourselves) in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him and desiring to please Him in all things, bearing fruit in every good work and steadily growing and increasing in and by the knowledge of God [with fuller, deeper, and clearer insight, acquaintance, and recognition].

11 [We pray] that you may be invigorated and strengthened with all power according to the might of His glory, [to exercise] every kind of endurance and patience (perseverance and forbearance) with joy,

12 Giving thanks to the Father, Who has qualified and made us fit to share the portion which is the inheritance of the saints (God's holy people) in the Light. (Amplified Bible)

Do you know God? Do you know Him? I mean really know Him? Someone can give me a book about a person's life. I can take a drive by their house. I can look at a picture of them. I can memorize their statistics like their birthday, their address, how many children they have... but does that mean I really KNOW them? Of course not. I've just collected facts about that person but I haven't met them or gotten to know them.

It's the same with God. You can read the Bible and still not KNOW Him. You can memorize a few scriptures but not really KNOW Him! You can go to church and still not KNOW God! All you have is head knowledge, NOT HEART KNOWLEDGE!

To know God, you have to accept Jesus as your personal Savior and be born again. This means a new and eternal spirit is born within your heart. When that happens God sends His Holy Spirit to live within you too. This way we have a piece of God within us to teach, train and empower us to grow spiritually. But we can ignore the work of the Holy Spirit within us and we will stay spiritually stunted. A baby Christian.

But I don't want to stay spiritually stunted. There is so much about God to love and to get to know! The more I learn about Him, the more I love Him and want to do what pleases Him!

How do you get to know God after you are saved? You do the same things that I mentioned above but you do it with a desire to get to know Him and with a personal interest. You read the Bible but don't just add words to your brain... pray and ask God what He is revealing in His Word to you. Make it personal. Go to church and listen to the teacher and preachers (a God believing and Bible believing church). But don't just scribble notes like in a school classroom... apply it to your life. Pray and ask God questions. Seek His answers. Look for those answers to come either in your meditations and prayers or through reading a godly book, or a preacher on the radio, or a friend's godly wisdom, etc. I have learned that when I don't understand a passage of scripture or a concept, to pray and ask God to open my understanding. Pretty soon I will read something that begins to open up that concept. Then there may be a Christian song that I hear that opens my eyes further. Or a preacher on TV has a sermon on that very thing. Or maybe it's in a Bible Study classroom discussion and the light dawns on me. But somehow, someway, God makes sure to answer the very question I had asked. It doesn't normally come in a blinding instant revelation (sometimes it does such as Apostle Paul's Damascus Road Experience) but in the bits and pieces that I need for it to begin to gel within me. Then finally I get it! He knows just how to reveal things to me so that my mind can accept and understand it. He will use a different set of circumstances to reach your mind. For instance, I'm a dog person and God has shown me many lessons using my dogs. But my mother-in-law doesn't like dogs so God will use other ways to teach her such as using her grandchildren and great grands to show her. I don't have children so it's the dog thing with me.

How do we get to know God? Get saved and then begin making it personal. Spend time with God and time in spiritual disciplines (prayer, Bible reading, going to church, taking Bible studies, etc) to give yourself the opportunity to learn from God and about God.

If you meet someone and like them, you will want to spend additional time getting to know them. You will call them, email them, ask them out to lunch, go to the movies together, go shopping together, eat some meals together and all that time you are usually talking back and forth and really listening to them and they listen to you. It's the same with God. You spend time with Him, consciously include Him in your daily activities, talk to Him (prayer), ask Him questions and then position yourself to be able to recieve answers (that means go to church, take Bible studies, read Christian books, listen to Christian music, etc).

Anyone can take a cursory, or even indepth, look at the Holy Bible and find what they think are opposing scriptures. For instance, "Thou shalt not kill..." is in the Ten Commandments and Numbers 31:14-18 "And Moses was angry with the officers of the army, the captains over thousands and captains over hundreds, who came from the battle. (15) And Moses said to them, Have you saved all the women alive? (16) Behold, these caused the sons of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit sin against Jehovah in the matter of Peor, and the plague was on the congregation of Jehovah. (17) And now kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that has known man by lying with him. (18) But all the female children that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

Sounds like these are two opposite commands. So pray and ask God to help you understand. Then relax and wait for the answers. Be sure to position yourself to hear the answers. It does no good to ask someone something and then walk away and not let the person respond. God will respond but you have to be there to hear it. You have to be listening for the answers. I have found answers in Christian books I'm reading but I wouldn't have found the answer if I hadn't read a Christian book. I'm not going to find many answers from God by just reading the sports page of the newspaper or my emails. I've found answers by participating in good Bible studies and I DO participate. That means I read the material, I pray for understanding, I participate in the discussions, I listen to the videos or tapes. But if I never attend a Bible study I might miss out on God's answer to my question. I've found answers from preachers either at church or on TV but I wouldn't have heard the answer if I hadn't listened to them. I'm not going to find many answers watching Comedy Central or MTV. I'm not going to find many answers from listening to Rock 101 or CD's of Whitney Houston. Don't get me wrong, God has used other means like these to show me things but it's usually things like "You don't want to end up like this" or "This is definitely a way to ruin your life so don't go there."

I pray that you will "have all the wisdom and understanding that his Spirit gives." And that you would steadily grow and increase in and by the knowledge of God [with fuller, deeper, and clearer insight, acquaintance, and recognition].

No comments:

My Most Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Contact Me

To contact me, email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com