..........Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.........

Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com

Monday, September 23, 2013

Fifteen Bean Soup Today!

Our first cool day and it's October 1! So I'm ready for a hardy bean soup. Today I made Fifteen Bean Soup and fresh baked bread for supper. I put it in the crockpot.





Fifteen Bean Soup

1 bag of dry "Fifteen Bean Soup" beans, rinsed
Ham, cube some ham or throw in a left over ham bone
2 qts water (enough to cover the beans and ham/ham bone and then some)
3 large fresh tomatoes, washed, quartered and pureed in blender (or 2 cans diced tomatoes)
1 lg Vidalia onion, peeled and diced (spring green onions or a regular onion can be substituted)
2 stalks fresh celery, washed, diced (celery seed can be used as substitue if you have to)
Salt and pepper to taste

These next ingredients are ones that I pick in my herb garden, rinsed and chopped, but I'm guessing on the amounts.
1/2 tsp fresh Sage (more if you use dried Sage)
1/2-1 tsp fresh Oregano (more if you use dried Oregano)
1/4 cup fresh Basil
1/8-1/2 tsp fresh Thyme (more if you use dried Thyme)

Optional (if you have them)
1/2 cup fresh Cilantro
1/2 cup fresh Parsley
1/2 tsp fresh Rosemary

Rinse the beans and place in the water in your crockpot. Add your cubed ham, or ham bone. Rinse and chop your vegetables and add. Work up your fresh herbs and toss in. Salt and pepper to taste and you are ready to put the lid on your crockpot and let it slowly cook all day.

When ready to serve you can put some sour cream or hot sauce on the table and make some cornbread and you have a very filling meal.

Source: Me!

*******************************************************************************
Variation that I use:

Bag of Fifteen Bean Soup (dried beans or make your own mixture)
1 packet of the Cajun Seasoning that came with the dried beans
Good handful of chopped green and red peppers and/or banana peppers
1 chopped onion diced
Diced ham
Juice of one lemon
Salt/pepper
Water

Just add all the ingredients and put in the crockpot. I do it in the morning so it simmers all day.

Source: Me!

**************************************************************************

Another variation that I made today:

Bag of 15 Bean Soup dried beans
1 packet of ham seasoning that came with the bean soup mix
Half a chopped green bell pepper
1 chopped onion
1 can of tomato sauce
1 can of diced Spam
I added a tsp of dried oregano (or fresh), 1 tsp of dried dill (or fresh), 1 tsp of dried parsley (or fresh)
Salt/pepper
Water

Source: Me!

No comments:

My Most Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Contact Me

To contact me, email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com