..........Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.........

Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Everything But The Kitchen Sink


Have you ever noticed, when you look at "magazine kitchens", that there is no clutter around the kitchen sink? In fact, the sink will be clutter free and glowingly clean.

I learned to remove all clutter from the kitchen counters, including around the kitchen sink, when trying to sell a home. In fact, there should be nothing on your counters but a coffee pot brewing fresh coffee (for the fragrance and home-iness) and a few decorative items. That means no dirty dishes in the sink, no mail and key catchers, no appliances like toasters, no cleaning stuff around the sink, etc.

When you really live in a house, it's hard to keep the counters completely free of clutter. I haven't mastered it. I've always got my Vitamix mixer out, a misc catching tray, vitamins, sugar bowl, fruit bowl, utensil holder, spoon rest, etc. And around the sink I have the dish detergent, liquid soap, sponge, scrubber, stopper, and dish towel. Since all these are useful tools used everyday, I figure, as long as they are clean and I can function around them, they can stay where they are most convenient to me. Here is my kitchen sink this morning.


But if you have too much clutter and limited space, then decluttering those counters are a must.



The FlyLady ( http://www.flylady.net/ ) always stresses cleaning out the kitchen sink, washing and polishing it so that it's spic 'n span. In fact, she calls it your first "baby step" to uncluttering.

"This is your first household chore. Many of you can't understand why I want you to empty your sink of your dirty dishes and clean and shine it, when there is so much more to do. It is so simple. I want you to have a sense of accomplishment. You have struggled for years with a cluttered home and you are so beaten down. I just want to put a smile on your face. When you get up the next morning, your sink will greet you and a smile will come across your lovely face. I can't be there to give you a big hug, but I know how good it feels to see yourself in your kitchen sink."

No one wants a sink like the one below! Whenever you wash your dishes (or rinse and put in the dishwasher) don't stop until you wash the sink too. I use my dish detergent to wash the sink and get all the grease out and rinse it with hot water. Every once in awhile I will put some bleach in the sink and fill it up with cold water to bleach out any stains. With a stainless steel sink you can use a Brillo pad to buff it to a shine.

No comments:

My Most Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Contact Me

To contact me, email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com