..........Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.........

Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Organizing Your Digital Scrapbooking Supplies and Your Digital Photos

I'm deeply into digital scrapbooking. So far I've been able to do my digital scrapping without spending money on purchasing digital elements. I've gotten free paper, free embellishments, free overlays, free templates, etc. You can purchase elements or even kits (where everything matches).

It's not going to work for you unless you organize your supplies. But how do you organize your digital supplies on your computer? I made a folder called "Scrapbook Supplies". It can get to be a big folder so you might want to think about saving it on an external hard drive.

Within this "Scrapbook Supplies" folder you will have sub-folders. It depends on your scrapping style as to how you want to arrange your sub-folders. Here are some examples:

"Kits"
"Papers"
"Templates"...

-or-

"Baby"
"Child"
"Teen"
"Adult"...

-or-

"Christmas"
"Birthday"
"Thanksgiving"
"Easter"...

-or-

"Winter"
"Summer"
"Spring"
"Fall"...

Or any combination that helps you!

Here is what I have:
"Templates and Sketches"
"Overlays"
"Hardware"
....."Brads"
....."Bottle Caps"
....."Pins-SafetyPins"
....."Chains"
....."Fence"
....."Wire"
....."Eyelets"
....."Zippers"
....."Other"
"Other Embellishments"
....."Flowers"
.........."CraftedFlowers"
.........."Roses"
.........."PaperRosettes"
.........."FabricRosettes"
.........."HanddrawnFlowers"
.........."RubberstampedFlowers"
.........."Foliage"
.........."Trees"
.........."Vines"
.........."Other"
....."Hearts"
....."Baby-SmallChild"
.........."Baby"
.........."Children"
.........."FantasyFigures"
.........."Cartoon"
.........."Birthday"
.........."Sports"
..............."Football"
................"Camping"
................"Baseball"
................"Soccer"
................"Basketball"
................"Fishing"
................"Skiing"
................"Other"
......"FarmGardening"
......"FlagsPennantsBanners"
....."FoodDrinkRelated"
....."Arrows"
....."Bubbles"
....."Clothing"
.........."Shoes"
.........."HatsWigs"
.........."Clothes"
.........."FashionPlates"
........."Sewing"
........."Makeup"
....."DoodlesGraphis"
....."DecorativeEmbellies"
....."Clouds"
....."ClocksTime"
....."CompassMaps"
....."Butterlies"
....."Bugs"
....."Brackets"
....."BirdsFeathersWingsHousesCages"
....."AutoBoatAirplaneTrainTractor"
....."Animals"
....."LaceFabric"
....."HouseholdItems"
....."Military"
....."Music"
....."Money"
....."PaintSmearsSplattersDrips"
....."Postal"
....."SunMoonStars"
....."Tassles"
....."Teenager"
....."Tools"
....."WaterDripsRainSplatsDrops"
"Word Art"
"Journaling Blocks"
....."LinedBlocks"
....."SquareBlocks"
....."FormalBlocks"
....."Tags"
....."Strips"
....."Other"
"Frames"
....."AllWhite"
....."RoundFrames"
....."WoodenFrames"
....."VintageAntique"
....."HanddrawnDoodled"
....."FilmStrips"
....."OvalFrames"
"Flourishes"
"JewelsGlitterBeadsSparklies"
"ScattersOtherThanJewels"
"MyPapers"
"Borders"
"Stitching"
"RibbonsBows"
....."LooseRibbons"
....."BowsKnots"
....."CordingStrings"
....."RibbonBorders"
"Alphas"

You can make sub-sub-folders within your sub-folders!

Analogy:
Remember, your computer is just like an office with file cabinets and file drawers and folders. You can organize your computer (or external hard drive) just like you organize your office. I see my computer as the Office Building. The departments are "My Documents" and "Pictures". Inside the departments are offices, in computer parlance that would "folders" and "subfolders". In the "My Documents" folder I have subfolders called "Excel Spreadsheets", "Word Documents", "Finances", "Tax Returns", etc. Back to my analogy, within these offices I have file cabinets. In the file cabinets I have file drawers and within the file drawers I have organzing folders. To compare that to the computer, you have the office called "Excel Spreadsheets" and within that office I have file cabinets, called folders. I named these sub folders "Household Spreadsheets", "Business Spreadsheets", "Medical Spreadsheets". In the office called "Word Documents" and within that office I have subfolders "Creative Writing", "Recipes", "Business Correspondence". In the file cabinet named "Recipes" I have file drawers. These subfolders are called "Beef", "Poultry", "Hors D'Oeuvres", "Desserts", "Vegetables", etc. Within the "Desserts" file drawer I have folders call "Pies", "Cakes", "Ice Cream", "Cookies", etc. Within the folder (in the analogy, it's the "department") named "Pictures" I have the subfolders (in the analogy, the "offices", "file cabinets" and "file drawers") of my pictures and my digital scrapbooking. This analogy makes sense to me. It's a logical way to see organizing the computer.

Another thought is how to organize your photos. I have tens of thousands of photos! Yes, just little ole me, but I take a lot of photos! Here is how I have my photos organized under the folder, "Pictures":

  • House. Within this one I have sub-folders for "Living Room", "SeasonalDecorations", "Dining Room", "Bedrooms", "Yard", "Kitchen", "GreatRoom"
  • Each family member has a folder with sub-folders for each year. For instance, "Sharon" has sub-folders for "2009", "2008"..."20012" and some special folders like "Wedding", "Baby Sharon", etc.
  • Genealogy folders for each family line that I follow. Within these folders, I have old photos, images of censuses or death certificates, photos of the old home place or cemeteries, etc
  • Misc Family - within this folder I have sub-folders for "Halloweens", "Christmases", "Easters", "Day Trips", "Thanksgivings", "July 4ths", "Beach Trips", "Vacations", etc. Within these folders I have sub-sub-folders for each event. For instance, Within "Christmases", I have "Harris 2010", "Harris 2011", "Harris 2012", etc.
  • Inventory-photos of items within our home
  • Heirlooms - photos of heirlooms we own, family mementos, all my scrapbook pages and layouts, photos of my special recipes
  • Misc - Within this folder I have sub-folders like "Nature" photos, "History" photos, etc.

I do sometimes have photos that go in 2 or more folders. For example, if I take a group photo of all the cousins around the Christmas tree then I would put a copy of the photo into each persons folder, as well as, putting it in the Christmas folder.

Here is a good posting on this very thing:
http://scrapbooklady.typepad.com/katie_the_scrapbook_lady/2009/08/organizing-digital-scrapbook-supplies.html

No comments:

My Most Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Contact Me

To contact me, email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com