..........Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.........

Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com

Friday, April 24, 2009

How Do You Organize Your Books?


How Do You Organize Your Books?


I saw an interesting discussion at http://unclutterer.com/2008/04/22/finding-order-on-your-bookshelves/ about how people organize their books. Most seem to prefer organizing by categories and then by authors. Some are as haphazard as I am and just have them all over the place. Some organize by color. That one surprised me! "I think I'll read a red book today." But the color-organizers swear by it. And it takes all kinds so who am I to judge.


At different times I've tried to organize them by categories and I still try to keep a series by one author all together so I don't buy one I already have. But since our last move 4 years ago, I haven't gotten them organized.

In my house on the farm and in the house in Tryon I had lots of books shelves. But here I've had to relegate my books to the attic in bookshelves except for my most valuable sets or my "To Be Read" (TBR) pile. It's not that I don't have a big enough house or lots of space, but we just use it in different ways. I still long for and covet a room dedicated to being just my library like I had at the farm.

These are the kinds of dedicated bookshelves I want!


Notice how the shelves are their own ladder?







When I was little we didn't have enough money to buy any book I wanted. I sparingly got Nancy Drew mysteries as gifts over the years until one day my Mom found a box full of vintage Nancy Drews from the 1930's for a few dollars and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I've read and re-read those Nancy Drew mysteries over the years because it brings back my girlhood. Mostly we went to the library where I devoured huge chunks of young people books. I read every single children's mystery in our library and then moved into the adult mysteries

But, after my marriage and as we got more disposable income, I began to buy books so I would never go hungry again! Oh, that was Scarlet O'Hara in Gone With The Wind...but it was the same feeling. I became a book hoarder. But I'm a bargain shopper too. I hate to pay retail price for a book when I can probably get it at book sales, yard sales and thrift stores if I just wait awhile. Now if it's one of my favorite authors and they come out with a new book, then I will go ahead and buy it but I still try to find it at the cheapest price and use coupons, etc. Those are special treats.

I have my attic lined with bookcases full of books. It's a wonder the ceiling doesn't cave in. On this last move I realized that I probably was holding on to too many books. I'm starting to re-think my "MUST HAVE BOOKS" trance. I've been using the library a lot more and if a book doesn't really send me, then I give it away rather than store it. But I still have my secret stash in the attic and those book cases scattered throughout the house full of To Be Read pleasures.

One day, if I get my library, I will organize according to genre, categories and then by author. NEVER by color! LOL! I do use LibraryThing but I need to spend a lot more time there to get everything I have and everything I want in there. And those poor books hidden in the attic may never make it to LibraryThing unless I get my dedicated library.

I read one person's comment that they have books on every surface and nook and cranny. I've seen places like this. As much as I love books, I couldn't live in that kind of higgely piggely.








I like order, organization and I have lots of interests besides books that require their own space and organization. Even my attic is organized!

No comments:

My Most Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Contact Me

To contact me, email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com