..........Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.........

Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Save Gas

I've been trying hard to save gas in simple ways.

  1. Try to combine trips. I've always done this because it's efficient and saves time and energy. But I'm trying to make my trips even more efficient by trying to change everything to my side of town such as doctor's offices, dentist office, banks, pharmacy, etc. I don't want to have to go all the way across town if I can help it.
  2. Drive slowly. I know people make fun of those who drive slowly or get frustrated and mad when they get behind someone driving slowly but they are going to have to get used to it. I don't think I'm the only one trying to drive slowly in order to save gas. I drive below the speed limit. I'm also trying to anticipate stops and let the car roll instead of speeding up to a stop and putting on the breaks. For this reason, don't tailgate.
  3. I've been trying to roll down the windows instead of using the air conditioning. I live in SC and it gets HOT so I can't do it all the time. But if I plan my trips for early morning then I might can get some errands run before it heats up too hot. If I'm already driving slowly and have the air conditioner turned off, then maybe I'm saving some gas.
  4. I try to look up directions before I go anywhere new so that I'm not driving around searching and wasting gas. If you have a GPS device, go for it! I don't, so I try to check online for directions and maps. I even jot down the directions on scrap paper so I don't waste printer ink and paper.
  5. I quit using my cruise control except on long trips so that my car isn't pushing itself to keep to a certain speed.
  6. I have Onstar satellite and it lets me know with an email that my tires are under- or over-inflated. I keep the tires correctly inflated because this saves on gas. It also notifies me when it's time to get an oil change and I get it changed every 3,000 miles.
  7. I'm trying to keep my tank full. Whenever I go out, I pass by our gas station and I usually stop for coffee anyway so I go ahead and top off the tank. Before you say anything about buying coffee...I usually use a mug or reuse their paper cups so that I get the refill price. One place is .20 per refill and the other place is .64 per refill. So I'm not paying Starbuck's prices. I happen to have 2 places nearby that serves great coffee for low, convenience store prices (and it saves about a $1 or more per cup if I get it for the refill price). It makes it about as cheap as if I made it myself. When I'm at home, I make my coffee but if I'm going out, I usually buy it.

No comments:

My Most Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Contact Me

To contact me, email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com