..........Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.........

Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Halloween 1970's Disco Party

Saturday night, we hosted a 1970's Disco Party for both sides of our family. We've had dress up parties for the last couple of years and the family really seems to enjoy it. The first year it was dress as you like but last year we had a Cowboy party and this year it was a Disco party. I found a large mirror ball Christmas tree ornament and Stan hung it in our den. I got some 1970's disco CD's from Amazon.com and we got together our outfits. I bought a dress at Ross' and wore my silver and turquoise jewelry that I got when I was in high school. I got Stan some platform shoes from Amazon.com and a pair of vintage pants and shirt from ebay. I got him an afro at Walmart and some glasses and neck chain at the Dollar Tree.

I wanted to try and have some 1970's type refreshments. I made a cheese fondue with the fondue pot that I've had since we got married in 1977. That turned out to be way expensive considering the ingredients: Jarlsberg cheese, Gruyere cheese (both $11/lb), Cherry liquer (Kirsch and I only needed a couple of Tbsps but you had to buy a wine bottle full) and white wine, dry mustard, lemon juice, cornstarch and 2 French bread loaves. But it turned out good and for those of us who like that sort of thing we enjoyed it. All the women in my age group remembered getting the fondue pots for wedding presents but I'm the only one who kept mine. Elaine made celery sticks with homemade pimento cheese. Anna made a Watergate salad (jello and Watergate, you can't get any more '70's than that!). Peggy brought some dips and chips. Our friends, Mark and Donna Simpson, came and they brought chips and salsa. Melinda brought cake and cookies. And I bought bottled Coca Colas (the Harris' love bottled Cokes), Sprite and made some tea and coffee.

I always get myself so wound up before hostessing a dinner or party. My muscles are perpetually tense and tight but getting ready for guests gets my adrenaline flowing and I get so tense and nervous. I don't want to take a nerve pill because I'll fall on the floor in a dead sleep and sleep for 12 solid hours. So I usually have wine to suppress the nerves and relax enough to enjoy. Otherwise I'm like the Tasmanian Devil whirling and cleaning and picking up, whisking away, etc and making everyone uncomfortable. I wish I could entertain without getting into such a tizzy! And, regardless, the next day, when all the pressure is off and the adrenaline is gone, I feel awful. I ache, I'm stiff, I feel like I've been hit in the head, I get Fibro Fog. I guess my body and my mind get so overstimulated that when I'm coming back down to earth, I feel terrible! So today I knew it was coming and just took the day off. I didn't even get out of my pj's. We have so much fun together and all, but it wears so hard on me that I dread any big get togethers any more. Isn't that awful!?! If we never had family get togethers, I would be lonely and sad, and yet, having them is such a strain that I dread them. I love being with family but the big productions like Thanksgiving, Halloween parties, Christmas, etc is hard on me.

Anyway, here are the photos of the party last night. Everybody was dressed up and hilarious!
Stan
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Me
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Melinda
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Lee wasn't dressed up. He had to go to work about 8pm. But he came!
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Luke and Hannah. Luke looks like ZZ Top and Hannah was perfectly dressed. Stan said she looked exactly like the typical military wife of the late 1960's and early 1970's. She had some bang up sexy boots but I don't know how she walks in them!
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Angie as she was coming in.
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Peggy as she came in.
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Mom & Dad. Dad was dressed as Willie Nelson!
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Stan with our friend, Mark.
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Mark's wife and our friend, Donna. I loved her sweater and she borrowed her platform sandals from her daughter!
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Aaron and his girlfriend!
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Elaine in her rugby shirt and blue jeans.
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Evans is literally wearing some pants give to him by his grandfather! And that shirt is soooo right for the 70's!
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


The beauty on the left is Evans' fiance. The beauty on the right is Aaron's girlfriend. They looked so pretty. Between them and Hannah we had some beautiful young women at our party!
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Elaine and I.
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Anna and her son, Aaron.
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Stan looks like he's smoking but it was a fake!
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Stan, Luke, Hannah
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Mom took off her costume and snuggled up with Tiny Tad.
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Luke changed from being ZZ Top to being "one of them people". He meant one of the Village People!
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Such a beautiful picture of Elaine and Tuffy.
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Capo came out dressed as a King!
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Spunky Monkey came out dressed as a bucking bronco with a cowboy hat.
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Here are some of the crowd. Kenny is looking through one of my 2 1970's scrapbook albums. I made an illustrative history of the 1970s with us (our families) smack in the middle. We grew up, went to high school, got married in the '70s. We were the young generation then! Now our children are the young generation. Anyway, the scrapbooks were appreciated.
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Stan and I got the dancing started hoping the young crowd would take over!
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


Then Stan started a congo line...
From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


From 2008 Halloween Disco Party


We felt so silly but those are the things they did at discos! It was fun and everyone seemed to have a great time. I'm glad they all came!

No comments:

My Most Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Contact Me

To contact me, email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com