..........Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.........

Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Garage Project

Our garage has been a sore point with both of us. It's a double garage with a shop room. Stan put up a lot of shelving up so we could be as organized in our small space as we could be (we used to have a full basement and a garage for storage and Stan's shop so we downsized on his space when we moved here). He had installed some shelving that was over the cars PLUS shelving all the way around the high ceiling in the garage and shelves all around (to the 10" ceiling) in the shop. So we had plenty of shelving and such. We had also set up our hot tub in the garage for privacy but I don't like going out there and be surrounded by junk so I had about quit using it. Stan moved it to the deck off the garage and we've cleaned it out. It will stay there so when we get through, we will fill it back up and start using it again.

Despite our best efforts, the garage and shop always looks messy anyway. And, Stan is not as organized with his stuff like I am so his shop drove me up the wall! He took his big toolbox to a friend's shop just down the road where he can lock it up and get it out of the way. But here is the rest of the shop:

From A scrapbook of me 8 9 08

Those plastic bins were my way of trying to organize him but he just throws anything in any bin no matter what I labeled it.

He couldn't even use his workbench because he never cleaned it off.

From A scrapbook of me 8 9 08


So we started by taking everything out and removing all the shelving, the work bench, etc. We left nothing but the walls.

From A scrapbook of me 8 9 08




From A scrapbook of me 8 9 08


We went through everything and culled out what we could. My Dad came over and helped us and he took a pickup load of stuff that we don't need but Dad wanted to recycle. I took a load to Habitat for Humanity. Dad has a huge barn full of junk. But he really does recycle it. While metal has been so high, he has been recycling anything metal that he had stored at his shop. He keeps the upper floor full of wood that he keeps until he needs it and eventually he usually does find a need for it. Ronnnie and Luke removed the garage door on Saturday. On Sunday, Dad & Stan removed all the metal parts, rails, and bolts from the sections so he could recycle the metal. He took the nice wood panels (it was a nice, expensive garage door for when the house was built in 1984) to store in his barn loft. They removed the over-the-car shelving and the shelves from around the garage. The only ones we left are on the house wall (where the freezer is).

From A scrapbook of me 8 9 08


We have to have storage for household stuff like his bike, golf clubs, coolers, grilling stuff. So Stan is going to build a wall across the back of the garage (where that step-up is). We will use this "breezeway" for that kind of storage and it will be hidden. That wall will have 2 doors. One on each side. The one on the left will be to access the house door. The one on the right hand side will access the door that opens to the back yard.

From A scrapbook of me 8 9 08

We plan to clean, paint, etc. and get this mess organized.

No comments:

My Most Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Contact Me

To contact me, email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com