..........Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.........

Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Garden of Beasts by Jeffery Deaver


I like Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme novels but this is not a Lincoln Rhyme novel. This is about the anti-hero, Paul Schumman, in 1936. He is a hired gun, a button man, an assassin, a rub-out man with a heart. That is where he leaves me. I can't imagine a professsional killer who is not self centered and sociopathic. Deaver tries to "redeem" Schumman by making him care about others, fall in love, rescue victims of the Nazis, etc. Anyway, the story is how the Feds catch Schumman but offer him a Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free card by having him go undercover for them and assassinate Reinhard Ernst in Germany during the Olympics going on in Berlin. Deaver confuses the reader by making Ernst a sympathetic character until the end of the book just like he does with Schumman and Schumman's new friend, Otto Webber, an organized crime survivor. The only character I liked was the German detective chasing Schumman, Willi Kohl.

I made myself read half the book and then I finally gave up trying to like it and skimmed the end and put it down. Deaver disappointed me on this one so I will stick to his Lincoln Rhyme novels for now. Amazon's Editorial Reviews gave it good reviews but I just couldn't seem to like Schumman and the story left me cold. (And I love history!)

No comments:

My Most Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Contact Me

To contact me, email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com