Thursday, April 03, 2008
Poison Ivy and Poison Oak
Poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac are plants that contain an irritating, oily sap called urushiol. Urushiol triggers an allergic reaction when it comes into contact with skin, resulting in an itchy rash, which can appear within hours of exposure or up to several days later. A person can be exposed to urushiol directly or by touching objects -- such as gardening tools, camping equipment and even a pet's fur -- that have come into contact with the sap of one of the poison plants. poison sumac is far more virulent than its relatives poison ivy and poison oak. According to some botanists, poison sumac is the most toxic plant species in the United States
Urushiol is found in all parts of these plants, including the leaves, stems and roots, and is even present after the plant has died. Urushiol is absorbed quickly into the skin. It can also be inhaled if the poison plants are burned. The smoke may expose not only the skin to the chemical but also the nasal passages, throat and lungs. Inhaled urushiol can cause a very serious allergic reaction.
The affected area will get red and swollen. A day or so later, small blisters will begin to form, and the rash will become very itchy. During this time, it's important to try to keep from scratching the blisters. Bacteria from under your fingernails can get into the blisters and cause an infection. After about a week, the blisters will start to dry up and the rash will start to go away.
Once a rash starts to develop, there are several over-the-counter medications you can use to relieve the itching, including:
Hydrocortisone creams (brand name: Cortizone-10)
Antihistamine tablets (one brand name: Benadryl)
You should call your doctor if:
You have fever over 100 degrees
The rash covers large areas of your body
The rash is in your eyes, mouth or on your genital area
There is pus coming from the blisters
The rash does not get better after a few days
*Notice the vine is "hairy" and you will see these vines even when the leaves are gone.
My Most Popular Posts
What Are Miniature Pinschers? In this photo you have the Doberman Pinscher (the largest one), the German Pinscher (the medium one) and the...
Does your laundry area look anything like this one? If you were honest, you might have to admit that it really does look like this or, some...
I looked for baby nursery ideas on a Google search. Baby rooms range from small to large so I tried to pick out a wide range. I was looking ...
Sorting Saturday is a daily blogging prompt at Geneabloggers.com used by many genealogy bloggers to help them post content on their sites....
Those plastic coffee creamer bottles can be reused! You can use them to carry water and juice in just like any water bottle. And you know ho...
Travel Tuesday – Do you have images, quotes or stories about trips your ancestors or family took during their lives? Or have to ventured ou...
http://pomrescue.com/blog1/ Pomeranians are the tiny fluff, puff dogs of the toy breeds. Looking like a tiny Chow or Spitz, they are the ...
Do you have some high ceilings? Do you struggle with how to decorate with such high ceilings? I scoured the Internet for photos of rooms wit...
Animal Hoarding Photos are from a Google search on "animal hoarding" From the American Veterinary Medical Association Animal...
Being a teenager in the 1970's, I remember those hairdos well! I remember everyone had blow dryers, curling irons and hot rollers back i...
To contact me, email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com