..........Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.........

Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com

Friday, December 16, 2011

William Miller & Mary Ann Glance

William Miller and Mary Ann Glance married and had a son named
Anderson Miller who married Cynthia Hickam and they had a daughter named
Noda Vest Miller who married John Edward Lamb and they had a daughter named
Geneva Margaret Lamb who married Wilford William Reese and they had a daughter named
Eleanor Elaine Reese who married William Avery Huneycutt and they had a daughter...ME!


William Miller was born between 1796-1799 in North Carolina or possibly in Georgia. At this time I don't know his parents or siblings. He married Mary Ann Glance. Mary Glance was born some time between 1795-1810 (depending on the source) to Charles Glance and Catherine Cross (aka Caty Cross, Catie Cross, Catharine Cross). I know that William Miller died after making his will dated 10/19/1853. Mary Ann Glance Miller died 11/29/1857.

Register of Deeds, Buncombe County Courthouse, Asheville, NC, 28801, Book 20, Pg 416. James Coter sold land to a William Miller on Shut In Creek in 1835. It was 200 acres.

1850 U.S. Census of Buncombe County, NC, Roll M432-622, Pg 261, Image 146, Lines 20-24, Dwelling 897, Family 897, "Francis Miller", farther down the page Lines 33-37, Dwelling 900, Family 900, "Wm Miller", and farther down the page and on next pg 262, Lines 41 and 1-6 , Dwelling 902, Family 902, "Sam Miller"
Francis Miller, 55 yrs old, M(ale), W(hite), Blacksmith, $0 Real Estate Value, Born in NC
Nancy Miller, 50 yrs old, F, W, Born in NC
Rachel Miller, 18 yrs old, F, Born in NC
John Miller, 17 yrs old, M, W, Laborer, Born in NC
Francis Miller, 15 yrs old, M, W, Laborer, Born in NC
...
Wm Miller, 54 yrs old, M, W, Farmer, $600 Real Estate Value, Born in GA
Mary Miller, 54 yrs old, F, W, Born in NC
Anderson Miller, 15 yrs old, M, W, Laborer, Born in NC
Mary Miller, 10 yrs old, F, W, Born in NC
Elizabeth Miller, 11 yrs old, F, W, Born in NC
...
Sam Miller, 28 yrs old, M, W, Farmer, $40 Real Estate Value, Born in NC
Jane Miller, 25 yrs old, F, W, Born in TN
Wm. A. Miller (or William. O. Miller), 5 yrs old, M, W, Born in NC
Rob J. Miller (sic, should be Robert Thornton Miller), 3 yrs old, M, W, Born in NC
Jas. J. Miller (James J. Miller), 11/12 yrs old, M, born in NC
Anderson Miller, 11/12 yrs old, M, Born in NC
John Miller, 19 yrs old, Born in NC

1860 Census of Madison County, NC (Roll M653-905, Pg 317, Mage 47, Lines 29-40, and Pg 318, Lines 1-2 is "Miller, Marry" and family)
Miller, Marry (sic, should be Mary Miller), 63 yrs old, F(emale), W(hite), Farmer, $1,000 Real Estate Value, $300 Personal Estate Value, Born in NC
Miller, Anderson, 24 yrs old, M, W, Farmer, $0 Real Estate Value, $0 Personal Estate Value, Born in NC
Smith, Jane, 39 yrs old, F, W, Hirelin (sic), Born in SC
Robberts, Thomas (sic), 55 yrs old, M, W, Carpenter, $0 Real Estate Value, $100 Personal Estate Value
Farther down page 318 is...
Miller, John, 27 yrs old, M, W, Farmer, $0 Real Estate Value, $60 Personal Estate Value, Born in NC (This may be Francis Miller's son - see 1850 census - married to a Susan and this may be Susan's father living with them.)
Miller Susan, 26 yrs old, F, W, Farmer, Born in TN
Church, Allen, 60 yrs old, M, W, Farmer, $100 Real Estate Value, $0 Personal Estate Value, Born in NC, Pauper

They had 5 children that I'm aware of:

1) Catherine Miller (Dob: Between 1818-1820 in North Carolina; Dod: ? in ? ) who married Simon Church (DOB: 1822-1827 in North Carolina; DOD: ? in ?). She is listed in William Miller's Will as "Catharine Church". They had 5 children that I'm aware of: Mahala A. Church, Emma Church (aka Ema Church), John Church, Charles Church, Wesley Church.

2) Samuel Miller (Dob: About 1822 in North Carolina; Dod: ? in ? ) who married Jane Johnston (DOB : About 1825 in Tennessee; DOD: ? in ?). He is listed in William Miller's Will. I'm not sure about Jane Johnston, the Samuel and Jane Johnston Miller that I found in 1860 Census of Bradley County, Tennessee may not be the same Samuel Miller.

3) Anderson Miller (Dob: 11/1834 in Buncombe County, NC; Dod: Between 3/19 and 3/25/1907 in Madison County, NC) Ance Miller married Cynthia Hickam (DOB: 11/1841 in Buncombe County, NC; DOD: 10/12/1929 in Hot Springs, Madison County, NC) on 10/21/1860 in Madison County, NC. He enlisted at age 26, April 5, 1862, in in Madison Cty, mustered in as a Musician (Drummer). Private in Company B, 60th NC Infantry Regiment. He was listed in William Miller's Will. This is my direct ancestor. They had 8 children: William Robert Miller, Sarah Jane Miller, Ora Catherine Miller, George Clinton Miller, Hester Miller, Carrie Miller, Florence Miller, Noda Vesta Miller. See a separate posting for Anderson Miller and Cynthia Hickam Miller and their family.

4) Mary Ann Miller (DOB: About 1834-1840 in Buncombe County, NC; DOD: ? in ? ) who married Greene Waddell (DOB:About 1838 in ?; DOD ? in ?) on 8/9/1855 in North Carolina. She was listed in William Miller's Will. They had 3 children that I'm aware of: Greene Waddell (DOB: 1/1864 in Cocke County, TN; DOD: ? in ?; married Betty J. Gorrell); James Madison Waddell (DOB: 5/15/1864 in Madison County, NC; DOD: 1/9/1942 in Hot Springs, Madison County, NC; married ?); Lawrence Victor Miller (DOB: 2/3/1873 in Madison County, NC; DOD: 9/22/1955 in French Broad, Madison County, NC)

5) Elizabeth Miller (Dob: Between 184040 in Buncombe County, NC; DOD: ? in ? ) who married F. M. Wells (possibly F. M. Wells as he is listed in William Miller's Will). She was listed in William Miller's Will. I don't know any more about Elizabeth Wells.

I think this is the right Samuel Miller because he was living next to his father in the 1850 Census with his wife, "Jane" and his children, William Miller, Robert Miller, James Miller, Anderson Miller and John Miller. His father, William Miller, died after 1854. Then we see Samuel and Jane Miller in Tennessee with their youngest child being 7 yrs old and was born in TN which is close to the time his father died. The house was full with the oldest male being John Johnston which I would assume is Jane's father.
1860 U.S. Census of District 12, Bradley County, TN, Roll M653-1241, Pg 266-267, Image 538, Lines 29-40 and next pg with lines 1-10
John Johnston, M(ale), W(hite), Farmer, $500 Real Estate Value, $0 Personal Estate Value, Farmer
Samuel Miller, 38 yrs old, M(ale), W(hite), Farmer, $300 Real Estate Value, $1,000 Personal Estate Value, Borni n NC
Jane Miller, 36 yrs old, F, W, Born in TN
Wm. E. Miller, 15 yrs old, M, W, Born in NC
Robert Miller, 13 yrs old, M, W, Born in NC
James Miller, 11 yrs old, M, W, Born in NC
Samuel Miller, 11 yrs old, M, W, Born in NC
John Miller, 9 yrs old, M, W, Born in NC
Hariet Miller (sic, should be Harriet Miller), 7 yrs old, F, W, Born in NC
Jacob Miller, 3 yrs old, M, W, Born in NC
Margaret Miller, 1/12 mos old, F, W, Born in NC
Octova Miller, 7 yrs old, F, W, Born in TN
James Johnston, 47 yrs old, M, W, Farmer, $500 Real Estate Value, $0 Personal Estate Value
Next Pg
Sarah Johnston, 40 yrs old, F, W, Born in TN
Josephine Johnston, 15 yrs old, F, W, Born in TN
Sopha Johnston, 14 yrs old, F, W, Born in TN
Nancy Johnston, 12 yrs old, F, W, Born in TN
Alis Johnston, 7 yrs old, F, W, Borni n TN
Mandy Johnston, 3 yrs old, F, W, born in GA
Malinda Bruster, 17 yrs old, F, W, Born in GA
John R. Bruster, 15 yrs old, M, W, Born in TN
Wm A. Bruster, 10 yrs old, M, W, Born in TN
Mary Bruster, 8 yrs old, F, W, born in TN

Transcript of William Miller’s Will

Will Book A
Dark Red Smaller (Legal Size) Book in the Clerk of Courts Office
Madison County Courthouse, Marshall, Madison County, NC

Spelling and punctuation intact.

Record of Wills
State of N. Carolina Madison County
Know all men by these present that I William Miller of the County and State aforesaid being feeble of Body but sound of Mind and knowing the uncertainty of life and the certainty of death do make and declare this to be my last will and testament Revoking all others heretofore by me made and making them null and void and of no effect.

First I will my soul to god who gave it, secondly that my body be decently intered. Thirdly I will that all my just debts be paid and as I have gave to my son, Samuel Miller, my daughter Catherine Church & Elizabeth Wells all the property real & personal that I intend for them except what is hereafter named.

I will all the balances of my property both real & personal as follows to my beloved wife Mary Miller. I will that she have during her natural life as much of my land where I now live as may be necessary for a decent and comfortable subsistence including my dwelling house Barn & out buildings my household & kitchen furniture my stock of cattle hogs except what, shall be hereafter named, my young mare and one young cot. Black Smith tools farming utensils, my crop of corn wheat oats and also all monies due from my son Samuel Miller, F.M. Wells and all other individuals that are indebted to me, and that she pay my debts out of the same reserving the balance to her own use all of which she is to do with as she pleases except the land which is hereafter disposed of. I will to my daughter Mary Ann Miller a certain tract piece or parcel of land in the County & State aforesaid. Beginning at a black gum & spotted oak on the south leading down the ridge from my house to Mrs. Nancy Fogg (almost illegible ?)

January Term 1854
Thence south with the center of the ridge to Simon Church’s corner thence with my line to a white oak a conditional line corner between me and Samuel Miller below the big spring then to a white oak a conditional corner between me and Samuel Miller at the corner of his field there running so as to include all the land bound by Samuel Miller & T.A. Fogg back to the beginning, to her to have and to hold to her heirs and assigns for ever. I further will her one bed & furniture also one cow & calf. I will to my son Anderson Miller the balance of my land on which I now live bounded as follows on the west by the state line then by such pass (?) me to Elizabeth Wells, Mary Ann Miller, & Catharine Church, being all the lands I am possessed except my mountain lands which are to be equally divided between all my children, the said Anderson Miller to have and to hold to him his heirs and assigns forever subject to the provisions made by me for my beloved wife Mary Miller. I further will to my son A. Miller a young mare (?) horse known now as his, all the hogs and cattle he has traded for and known now as his separate from my own one bed and furniture, one cow & calf, and I do hereby appoint my wife Mary Miller my executrix and that she is not bound to give security – as such given under my hand and seal this 19th day of October the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred & fifty three.

His
William X Miller
Mark

(illegible ?)
J.A. Fogg (illegible ?)
His
Francis X Miller (illegible ?)
Mark


1860 U.S. Census of Madison County, NC, Roll M653-905, Pg 317, Image 47, Lines 39-40, Pg 318 Lines 1-2, Dwelling 311, Family 311, "Marry Miller"
Marry Miller (sic, Mary Miller), 62 yrs old, F(emale), W(hite), Farmer, $1,000 Real Estate Value, $300 Personal Estate Value, Born in NC
Anderson Miller, 24 yrs old, M, W, Farmer, $0 Real Estate Value, $0 Personal Estate Value, Born in NC
Jane Smith, 39 yrs old, F, W, Hirelin (sic), Born in SC
Thomas Robberts, 55 yrs old, M, W, Carpenter, $0 Real Estate Value, $100 Personal Estate Value, Born in NC
Farther down the page, Pg 318, Lines 9-11, Dwelling 313, Family 313, "John Miller"
John Miller, 27 yrs old, M, W, Farmer, $0 Real Estate Value, $60 Personal Estate Value, Born in NC
Susan Miller, 26 yrs old, F, W, Farmer, born in TN
Allen Church, 60 yrs old, M, W, Farmer, $100 Real Estate Value, $0 Personal Estate Value, Born in NC, Pauper

1870 U.S. Census of Township 9 Hot Springs, Madison County, NC, Roll M593-1147, Pg 441, Image 186, Lines 15-17, Dwelling 29, Family 29, "Lamb, David P." and farther down the page Lines 29-35, Dwelling 32, Family 32, "Millus, Anderson" (sic) and next, Lines 36-40, Dwelling 33, Family 33, "Church, Simon"
"Lamb, David P., 26 yrs old, M(ale), W(hite), Farm Laborer, born in TN (David Page Lamb is related to our Lambs)
Lamb, Mary, 32 yrs old, F, W, Keeping house, Born in NC
Lamb, Isabel, 2 yrs old, F, W, At Home, Born in NC"
...
"Millus, Anderson (sic, should be Anderson Miller), 34 yrs old, M, W, Farmer, $0 Real Estate Value, $200 Personal Estate Value, Born in NC
Millus, Cintha (sic, should be Cynthia Miller or Cyntha Miller), 28 yrs old, F, W, Keeping House, Born in NC
Millus, Robert (sic, Robert Miller), 7 yrs old, M, W, At Home, Born in NC
Millus, Sarah (sic, Sarah Miller), 5 yrs old, F, W, At Home, Born in NC
Millus, Ara (sic, should be Ora Miller), 3 yrs old, F, W, At home, Born in NC
Millus, George (sic, George Miller), 11/12 mos old, M, W, At home, Born in NC
Millus, Mary (sic, Mary Miller), 72 yrs old, F, W, At home, Born in NC
Church, Simon, 49 yrs old, M, W, Farmer, $150 Real Estate Value, $150 Personal Estate Value, Born in NC
Church, Catharine (sic), 52 yrs old, F, W, Keeping house, Born in NC
Church, John, 18 yrs old, M, W, Farm Laborer, Born in NC
Church, Wesley, 15 yrs old, M, W, At home, Born in NC
Church, Emma, 10 yrs old, F, W, At home, Born in NC

I don't have any more on this family and I feel it's incomplete. If you have any comments, corrections or additonal information, please email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.

No comments:

My Most Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Contact Me

To contact me, email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com