..........Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.........

Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Pet Poisoning


Last night Stan let the dogs out of my bedroom while I was still in the study working on my computer, getting my bills paid, etc. I don't like to let them loose in the house without supervision because they get into stuff or tear up something. Stan didn't realize I was so deep into what I was doing.

I finally stopped after about 20 mins and went to put them back up in my bedroom. I noticed Capodimonte had something in his mouth. And he didn't want to give it up! But I was able to pry open his mouth and see he had a piece of chocolate candy from the leftover Halloween stuff. I thought it was stored far enough up to be out of their way but it wasn't. Chocolate is toxic to dogs. It was a chocolate Krackel bar, one of the minis that is about 2". Since he didn't get that one I was relieved and glanced around the house to see if I saw any other wrappers indicating that he had already had one. I didn't see any so I put them back in the bedroom and went back to work.

As I finished and retired towards the bedroom I happened to see a mangled wrapper on the floor. I don't know how I missed it the first time but I did and it was about an hour later! Which meant, if it was dangerous, it had been in his system for an hour!

Panicking, I tried to call my sisters who know more about this stuff! I was pacing the floor holding a sleepy Capo when I got Melinda. She said he was probably going to be alright but to call the Emergency Vet to double check. She said candy bars are usually milk chocolate and not dark chocolate (which is poisonous to them) and he only had that one little piece instead of a half a bag full. So I called the Emergency Vet and they said to just keep an eye on him. Fortunately he is bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning!

I pretty much know what poisons a dog, but do you?

Do you know the symptoms of poisoning? There are a lot of things that aren't harmful to humans but are harmful to dogs such as onions.

Do you know what to do? Did you know there is a Pet Poison Control hotline?

Please go to this website and read up. Print out a list of poisonous things and make sure you and your family know what is bad for your dog to ingest. This is a good project to do with your children.



Keep this Pet Poison Control hotline phone number handy. 1-877-2ANGELL

No comments:

My Most Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Contact Me

To contact me, email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com