1) Avery Lawrence Barnes (dob: 7/9/1877 in Davidson County, NC; Dod: 11/11/1907 in Davidson County, NC; married Addie Mae Michaels on 1/28/1900 in Davidson County, NC) This is my direct ancestor. He was crippled from polio and had to use crutches to walk. He owned a General Store in Davidson County, NC that his father helped him with. Because of his disability, Lewis made sure Avery had a good education and sent him to Reed's School. He built Avery a cart so he could get around. His father helped him set up the store across the road from the Barnes Cemetery. But Avery died young of spinal meningitis leaving his wife and 3 children.
2) Leo Marcellis Barnes (Dob: 10/5/1897 in Davidson County, NC; Dod: 10/25/1929 in Davidson County, NC; married Cleo Heggie on 12/20/1924 in Davidson County, NC)
3) Clarence Spurgeon Barnes (Dob: 12/2/1894 in Davidson County, NC; Dod: ? ; married Kate Saintsing on 4/4/1920)
4) Grover Cleveland Barnes (Dob: 1/29/1886 in Davidson County, NC; Dod: 12/16/1972 in ? ; married Zella Michael on 1/10/1913 in Davidson County, NC)
5) Joseph Pinkney Barnes (Dob: 4/4/1883 in Davidson County, NC; Dod: 2/10/1963 in ? ; married Carrie Shoaf on 12/27/1903)
6) Royal Francis Barnes (Dob: 4/30/1888 in Davidson County, NC; Dod 9/1/1971 in Davidson County, NC; married Zana Pearl Michael)
7) Elizabeth Mae Barnes (Dob: 8/9/1890 in Davidson County, NC; Dod ? ; married Robert L Kenerly on 5/18/1933)
8) Zana Pearl Barnes (this could be Royal Francis Barnes wife instead of his sister)
9) Mary Corrina Jane Barnes (Dob: ? ; Dod: ?)
10) Dora Cornelia Barnes (Dob: 9/6/1878 in Davidson County, NC; Dod: 6/2/1964 in ? ; married Cicero Shoaf on 1/22/1899)
11) Beulah Thomas Barnes (Dob: 1/3/1881 in Davidson County, NC; Dod: 11/15/1902 in ? ; married Junious W. Shoaf on 12/5/1901)
12) Flora Barnes (Dob: 1880 in NC; Dod: ? ; married ?) May not have survived to adulthood
1860 U.S. Census of Northern Division, Lexington, Davidson, North Carolina; Roll: M653_895; Page: 358; Image: 188; Family History Library Film: 803895, Lines 20-28, "John Barnes"
John Barnes, 43 yrs old (DOB 1817), W(hite), M(ale), Farmer, $1,200 Real Estate Value, $585 Personal Estate Value, Born in NC
Margaret Barnes, 43 yrs old (DOB 1817), W, F, Dmst, Born in NC
Sarah Ann Barnes, 18 yrs old (DOB 1852), W, F, Dmst, Born in NC
Harrison Barnes, (sic), 15 yrs old (DOB 1855), W, M, Farm, Born in NC
Charles Barnes, 13 yrs old (DOB 1857), W, M, Born in NC
Lewis Barnes, 8 yrs old (DOB 1852), W, M, Born in NC
William Barnes, 5 yrs old (DOB 1855), W, M, Born in NC
James Barnes, 3 yrs old (DOB 1857), W, M, Born in NC
1870 U.S. Census of Boone Township, Lexington Post Office, Davidson County, North Carolina; Roll: M593_1134; Page: 18B; Image: 39; Family History Library Film: 552633, Lines 37-40, "John Barnes"
John Barnes, 53 yrs old (DOB 1817), M(ale), W(hite), Farmer, $700 Real Estate Value, $300 Personal Estate Value, Born in NC
Margaret Barnes, 53 yrs old (DOB 1817), F, W, Keeping House, Born in NC
Lewis Barnes, 18 yrs old (DOB 1852), M, W, Farm Hand, Born in NC
William Barnes, 11 yrs old (DOB 1859), M, W, Farm Hand, Born in NC
Margaret Smith, 17 yrs old (DOB 1853), F, W, Born in NC
1880 U.S. Census of Tyro, Davidson County, North Carolina; Roll: 961; Family History Film: 1254961; Page: 176B; Enumeration District: 37; Image: 0364, Lines 2-5, "Lewis F. Barnes"
Lewis F. Barnes, Head, W(hite), M(ale), 28 yrs old (DOB 1852), Married, Farmer, Born in NC, Both parents born in NC
Anna E. Barnes, Wife, W, F, 23 yrs old (DOB 1857), Married, Keeping House, Born in NC, Both parents born in NC
Avery L. Barnes, Son, W, M, 3 yrs old (DOB 1877), Single, Born in NC, Both parents born in NC
Dora C. Barnes, Daughter, W, F, 1 yrs old (DOB 1879), Born in NC, Both parents born in NC
Here are copies of Lewis Frances Barnes Family Bible.
Bible Records of Davidson County, NC, Vol I, compiled by the Genealogical Society of Davidson County, NC, Pg 6
The Bible of Lewis Francis Barnes, contributed by Mary Jo D. Shoaf, 1980.
L.F. Barnes and A. E. Brawley "was married" 10/14/1875
Dora Cornelia and Cicero Shoaf 1/22/1899
Avery Lawrence and Adda Mae Michael 1/28/1900
Beulah Thomas and Junious W. Shoaf 12/5/1901
Joseph Pinckney and Carrie Shoaf 12/27/1903
Grover Cleveland and Zella Michael 1/10/1913
Clarence Spurgeon and Kate Saintsing 4/4/1920
Leo Marcellus and Cleo Heggie 12/20/1924
Elizabeth Mae and Robert L. Kenerly 5/18/1933
Lewis Francis Barnes 10/1/1851
Anna Elizabeth Barnes 12/17/1856
Avery Lawrence 7/9/1877
Dora Cornelia 9/6/1878
Beulah Thomas 1/3/1881
Joseph Pinkney 4/4/1883
Royal Francis 4/30/1888
Elizabeth Mae 8/9/1890
Clarence Spurgeon 12/2/1894
Leo Marcellus 10/6/1897
Beulah Thomas Shoaf 11/15/1902
Avery Lawrence Barnes 11/11/1907
Leo Marcellus Barnes (sic) 10/25/1929
Lewis F. Barnes 9/21/1934
Anna Elizabeth Barnes 3/2/1939
Joseph Pinkney Barnes 2/10/1963
Dora Cornelia 6/2/1964
Royal Francis 9/1/1971
Grover Cleveland 12/16/1972
Note: Lewis Francis Barnes was the son of John Barnes and Margarett Ratts.
Lewis Frances Barnes house and family
From Left to Right: Avery Lawrence Barnes, Joseph Pinckney Barnes, Grover Cleveland Barnes, Lewis Frances Barnes, Royal Frances Barnes, Annah Elizabeth Brawley Barnes and baby Clarence Spurgeon Barnes, Margaret Freeman Brawley, Elizabeth Mae Barnes, Dora Cornelia Barnes, Beulah Thomas Barnes (missing is their last child, Leo Marcellis Barnes). This photo was taken was probably taken winter of 1895-1896 because baby Clarence Spurgeon Barnes looks to be about a year old and the tree in the yard is leafless.
If you have any comments, corrections or additonal information, please email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.