..........Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com.........

Contact me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com

Sunday, June 10, 2007

The Ninth Commandment

Do you know it? What is the 9th Commandment of God's Ten Commandments (aka the Decalogue)? I've seen on TV how some reporter will go to a mall and ask people randomly what the Ten Commandments are and none of them knew all 10 and 99% didn't know but one commandment and that was "Thou Shalt Not Kill".


This is sad. The laws of the Western world are based on the Ten Commandments and yet 9 out of 10 people don't know the Ten Commandments. When I was a child we memorized the Ten Commandments, the Lord's Prayer, John 3:16, Psalm 23, the Golden Rule and the books of the Bible IN MY PUBLIC SCHOOL! What horrible people my teachers were! To actually teach me some values! The damage it did to my psyche! Baloney!

But, back to the 9th commandment. The Walt Disney movie did a good job teaching Pinnochio not to lie. Maybe we need a refresher course. "Thou shalt not bear false witness", Exodus 20:16.


Here is what Matthew Henry's Commentary says about it:


This forbids, 1. Speaking falsely in any matter, lying, equivocating, and any way devising and designing to deceive our neighbour. 2. Speaking unjustly against our neighbour, to the prejudice of his reputation; and (which involves the guilty of both), 3. Bearing false witness against him, laying to his charge things that he knows not, either judicially, upon oath (by which the third commandment, and the sixth of eighth, as well as this, are broken), or extrajudicially, in common converse, slandering, backbiting, tale-bearing, aggravating what is done amiss and making it worse than it is, and any way endeavouring to raise our own reputation upon the ruin of our neighbour's.

No comments:

My Most Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Contact Me

To contact me, email me at Mom25dogs@gmail.com